Friday, November 23, 2007

short-term management

I was scanning my rss feed and from the BBC I saw "Airbus fears 'weak-dollar' death" - the weak dollar is threatening the survival of the European planemaker Airbus, its chief executive says.

So how long - really - has the dollar been weak? And so what? Is this company really so threatened by the short-term?

How come there are so many managers/executives blaming external circumstances so quickly for what might in reality be internal problems?

What really gets my goat is that if these guys had been properly strategic a weak dollar might have been part of their outlook for some time. I've been hearing predictions of it for at least 5 years.

The real question they need to ask themselves is along the lines of -

'Just how well have we fulfilled our responsibility to the company, employees and shareholders of building strength and resilience into operations?'

No comments: